Thursday, July 21, 2011

Taking the Cake

The cake has always been one of the more important things for me during the planning process.  I love beautifully decorated cakes and the artistry behind them.  I've been known to watch marathon sessions of Food Network Challenge!  However, choosing the right vendor who could pull of the look and taste we wanted was causing me a bit of stress.

At the various bridal expos I attended early on in the planning stages, I kept running across a bakery that had recently opened in the Northwest, Indiana region (names will not be mentioned to protect the innocent or not-so innocent).  Their display booths were bright and fun and the photos of their cakes blew my mind.  This place definitely had some talent.  I took their business card and brochure and was certain I'd be meeting with them in the future.

MOB did a little leg-work on her own and mentioned this bakery to lady she works with.  The verdict?  Two big thumbs down!  I was in shock!  My mom's co-worker had attended 2 weddings that used this bakery for their cakes, and while the cakes looked stunning, they tasted awful!  The flavors were not good and the cake was dry.  My heart sank at the news.

However, said co-worker had attended other weddings with amazing cake results - taste and good looks!  She recommended a woman named Linda who has been making wedding cakes out of her home for years.  Her prices are reasonable, the cakes are beautiful and the taste is fantastic.  I couldn't have asked for a better review!

I called Linda and made an appointment to do a little tasting - yum!  With the appointment set, I needed to gather up my inspiration photos to take along, but that wasn't as easy as I thought.  I wasn't sure what direction we should go!


Snowflakes seem like an obvious choice for a winter wedding but they can look cheesy if not done well.  I like this cake as there is no doubt it is a winter cake, but it still looks elegant.

Image via YummyWeddingFood.com/ Photo by Deprisco Photo

So cute and fun!  I love the champagne glass full of confetti.  It really speaks to the celebratory nature of the night.

Image via MikesAmazingCakes.com

This is definitely an "out of the box" way to go.  Everyone will be keeping an eye on the clock waiting for midnight to strike.  Having a clock themed cake could be fun and different, but maybe it's too different?

Image via SliceCakeStudio.com

Sigh.  Sparkle and a brooch!  I like that this looks like freshly fallen snow.


Martha Stewart's bubble cake.  You can't celebrate New Year's Eve without some bubbly so a champagne bubble cake would fit in perfectly!

There are so many directions we could go but I think I know my favorite.  What's yours?!

No comments:

Post a Comment