Monday, July 11, 2011

Flower Alternatives

As I've mentioned, I really wanted to try and save money in the flower department.  I was thinking of alternatives for the bridesmaid bouquets but I'm not a big fan of the faux silk flower look so I didn't really want to head in that direction.  Then, at a bridal expo in Valparaiso in mid-January, I found this:

(Personal Photo)

One of the local vendors had this crystal bead bouquet on display.  The more I looked at it, the more I thought it would fit in with our overall look and it would add a festive touch to the bridesmaids' ensambles.  But at around $100 a pop, there was no way this would be a cheaper alternative to flowers. 

So with a picture in hand, my mom and I went about searching the internet for DIY versions.  Offbeat Bride has a great tutorial for making these and after reading through the instructions, I knew we could handle this project and save some $$$ in the process!
For the beads, there was never a question where I would look first.  In the Chicagoland area, every quarter, there is a Transworld's Jewelry, Fashion and Accessories show.  The show is held at the Donald E. Stephens Convention Center, in Rosemont, Illinois in February, April, July and October.  There are also smaller shows held around Christmas in Schaumburg, Illinois.

What are these shows you ask?  Well Exhibitors rent booths and sell items such as:  beads, jewelry - both fine and costume, watches, clothing, makeup, perfume, hair accessories, food (dips, summer sausages, etc.), children's clothing and gifts, purses, tote bags, etc.  To attend, you register online as either a trade buyer or a non-industry related buyer.  As I am not in the "industry", I register as the latter.  Registration is free and you just check in when you arrive and they give you a badge to wear. 

The shows run Thursday - Sunday.  We try and go on a Friday if possible to avoid the larger weekend crowds.  Although I have no personal pictures of the show we attended in April, here are some photos off of the website to give you a better feel for what you'd expect to see:

All images via JFAShow.com

This is such a small sampling of what you can find and the prices are fantastic!  My parents actually purchased a diamond ring for my 30th birthday from a show a couple of years back. 

At the April show, my mom, sister, cousin and I were on the hunt for wedding items - specifically, beads for the bridesmaid bouquets and pins for their dresses.  We were successful!  We found a booth selling strands of beads for only $2 per strand.  The clear faceted beads were 10mm and we picked up 11 strands.  To add a little dimension and more sparkle to the bouquets, we also picked up 5 strands of silver 8mm beads.  Total - $32! 

(Photo by me and my incorrectly dated camera.)

We estimated no more than 100 beads per bouquet.  The 10mm beads came 69 to a strand and about 88 per strand for the 8 mm.  This came to 1,199 beads.  I have 7 girls but I bought extra to cover any unforseen DIY mishaps as well as having the option to add beads to my bouquet if I decided.  I figured if we made one and I hated it, I wasn't out much money and I could always sell the remaining unused beads.

I also found pins for the bridesmaid dresses during this trip but I'll save those for another time.  My mom and I attended another show on July 22nd so I'll also be sharing that trip with you soon.

Have you found any unique places to find wedding items? 




No comments:

Post a Comment