Friday, August 5, 2011

How Me Became We - Part II

So in my previous post, you learned how foolish I was by pushing away a great guy for no real good reason!

I thought about Mr. Ball Cap quite a bit over the next couple of months, and as much as I tried to get him off my mind, I just felt so bad about how I handled the whole situation.  I assumed I had blown it and hoped that someone else great would come into my life.  But then, on December 17, 2008, while at a friend's Christmas party, I received a text that simply said "How are you?"  It was from Mr. Ball Cap!  I was in shock.  I was surprised he even kept my number!

Over the next few days, we texted and talked and he asked if I wanted to maybe hang out again.  I agreed and we set up a time to meet up.  But then . . . he cancelled on me.  Now I know that sounds terrible, but he actually had a valid reason that I believed.  His youngest brother was going into the Air Force and the family ended up planning a farewell get together for his last night on the same day we were supposed to meet up.  I couldn't blame him for that and hoped he wasn't really blowing me off.

We rescheduled our plans and made a date for January 6th.  On my drive to the restaurant, I started to get nervous that maybe he wouldn't show up.  Maybe he was mad about how I handled myself before and was trying to get his revenge!  Thankfully, that was just nonsense.

I can clearly remember sitting in my car and seeing his truck pull up.  I watched him get out and couldn't stop staring.  Was he really that cute before?  OMG - he looks so good!  I got super shy and nervous and almost didn't know what to say to him!  Our dinner was great, and during the movie, I made my move and put my arm around his and snuggled in close.  All I could hope for is that I could gain his trust back.

Before we said goodnight, I apologized for the way I acted before.  I made it clear I wanted to see him again and that I understood if he was a little uncertain about me or worried that I might flip out on him again.  He understood and was glad I brought it up.  I got a kiss goodnight and felt those butterflies like crazy.  I knew we were going to be just fine.

More than 2.5 years later and here we are - planning our wedding!  I am so thankful he sent that simple text.  I never imagined letting someone love and care for me would be such a challenge!  Thankfully, the right guy didn't give up on me.  We now refer to that January 6th evening as our "2nd first date" and count that as the day we became an official couple - an official "we."

Photo by friend at Bridesmaid Y's wedding

Did your relationship get off to a rocky start?

No comments:

Post a Comment