Monday, January 23, 2012

Blue Brooch Bouquet

Once upon a time, in my early days as a Bee, I wrote this post about my plans to create a brooch bouquet.  I even gave you a little sneak peak at its progress here, but that is where I stopped!  Other projects became more of a priority and I never got around to sharing the final product with you before the wedding.  It's your lucky day because I'm sharing now!

This project was indeed a labor of love and I couldn't be happier with how it turned out.  I'm still so in love with it and I now get to enjoy it every day.

So how about I just show it to you and then tell you how it came to be? 


I won't reinvent the wheel when other bees before me have posted fantastic tutorials on how to make your own, including Mrs. Sloth's and Mrs. Stripes', whose post was recently featured on the Helpful Series.  I followed Stripes' method with just a few modifications.


The tools used for this project were needle nose pliers, wire cutters, floral tape and 22 gauge floral wire.  The wire is very inexpensive, as is the tape, and I already owned the pliers and cutters.

I began by cutting a pile of wire in 24 inch lengths.


Then, as in Stripes' tutorial, I attached each wire to a brooch like a stem.  I didn't reinforce them other than wrapping floral tape around each wire.  I'd have to stop after every 10 stems or so to go wash the tackiness off of my fingers. 

After all the wiring and wrapping, I was left with a pile of stems.

Obviously not the whole pile! 

When it came time to assemble the bouquet, I was a little concerned about the lack of color in my brooches.  I didn't want colored brooches, but I also didn't want them to look flat against my ivory dress.  I had shared this inspiration pic, and as gorgeous as it is, I was afraid a similar look would fail to really pop like I wanted.

Flower Power :  wedding diy dyer flowers jewelry Brooch03 Brooch+03

I needed a framework to aid in the assembly, so what better way to incorporate some color than the support?  I browsed the craft aisle at Meijer during a grocery shopping trip and walked away with these:


The blue was deep enough and the clearance price told me they were meant to be!  I held the three bunches in my hand and made them into a mound shape.  MOB and I then started sliding the stems in here and there, trying to maintain a round, bouquet-like shape.  The floral tape around each stem made it a little difficult to slide them in.  If I were to do this again (make a bouquet - not re-marry!) I would skip the floral tape step.

After lots of tweaking, bending and shaping, I had this:



I couldn't believe how well it came together!  I knew I was going to love carrying this down the aisle on the wedding day.  The addition of the navy really helped the beauty and sparkle of each brooch shine through.  I had brooches from both of my grandmothers, my eBay auction lot, a few converted rings, a few new purchases, and pearl picks by David Tutera.

Even though it was looking beautiful, something was still missing.  It needed finishing touches, including something to balance out the bottom.  Thank goodness for the talented MOB!



She sewed a ruffle out of navy satin and attached it to a plastic bouquet holder from Jo-Ann's.  We painted the holder so it blended in better.  We also wrapped the handle in navy satin and included my "something old;" a piece of lace from my mom's wedding dress.


There were just a few last additions needed . . .


. . . my Sunhat charm, Funnel Cake charm, Bee charms and my late grandmother's rosary.  Why a Funnel Cake charm?  Mrs. Funnel Cake passed along her bee charms to me and included an adorable Funnel Cake charm.  I loved having her with me in spirit on my wedding day!


My Sunhat charm was a little large so I pinned it under the skirt of my gown.

First and third photos by Stephen Martin Photography

Looking at this last picture too long will bring me to tears.  My grandmother's faith was so strong and having her rosary with me brought me peace.  I glanced down and saw it right before I walked down the aisle and a calm washed over me.  It saddens me that she wasn't physically there with us that day, but her spirit was a strong and constant presence.

Once I added the love of the Hive, my mom and grandmother, the bouquet was complete.  It was such a special piece and I'm so happy I took the time to make this for myself.  Most of our guests had never seen such a thing and some even came up to me during our receiving line to take a picture of it!


So there you have it - the DIY project I think I am most proud of.  I'm sorry it took me so long to share it with you!  You'll get to see even more of the bouquet throughout my recap pictures. 

Are you creating your own bouquet?  Fresh flowers, faux or something else?

No comments:

Post a Comment