Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Good Fortune in 2012

The Wednesday before the wedding, MOB, my sister and I executed a last minute favor project.

Long before the days of Pinterest, I ran across an idea for a fortune cookie wedding favor.  I liked the symbolism of receiving a fortune at the start of a new year.  I saved the idea in one of my umpteen wedding spreadsheets and moved on.  Fast forward to when I actually needed to reference it and it was nowhere to be found.  I tried to search for it again but never quite found the right post.  Oh well - time to wing it!

MOB called her local Chinese restaurant and I stopped in to pick up a box of 200 fortune cookies for $16.  I bought some Baker's chocolate from the grocery store and treat bags from JoAnn's and we were ready to roll.


MOH Sister started by unwrapping all 200 cookies.  We only had a few casualties (which we may have consumed on the spot). 


I plugged in my Wilton chocolate melter thingy and less than 10 minutes later, our dipping chocolate was ready to go.

MOB gettin' fancy dipping two at a time!


We experimented with dipping half of the cookie in the chocolate vs. dipping the rounded, bottom portion.  We all preferred the bottom dipped look best.

While MOB and MOH finished dipping, I whipped up a cute little saying in a business card template Word document and printed them out.  MOB had grand ideas of making fancy labels with several pieces of paper and other embellishments.  I was all about getting this done as easy and fast as possible and put the kibosh on that.  Looking back, I sort of wish I had put a little more pizazz into the tags, but I totally ran out of steam in those last planning days!

After the chocolate had set up, each cookie was placed into a treat bag and a label stapled to the top.  Each guest found these at their place setting at the reception.

Wedding Guest Photo

The tag reads: "Thank you for celebrating with us!  We wish you good fortune in 2012!  Love, Edward and Lisa Xxxxx."  These weren't the only favor our guests left with that night, but that deserves its own, special post.

I opened the cookie at my place sitting during dinner.  It read: "You will live the life that makes all others not envious, but proud of you."  I thought it was the perfect sentiment to begin our newly married life.

Did you make your favors at the last minute?  Would you be pleased to receive an edible favor?


No comments:

Post a Comment