Monday, November 21, 2011

NYE Bling

While our wedding date just so happens to be New Year's Eve, we aren't necessarily going all out with a New Year's Eve theme.  We are simply adding elements that compliment the holiday while trying to avoid going too over the top.

So far, I have shown you our personalized clock and the boutonnieres.  Next up is some sparkly table decor!

Thanks to Pinterest, I found my next DIY project.


I knew just where to find those big letters so I skipped my happy booty over to JoAnn's, used my 40% off coupons (they accept Michaels and Hobby Lobby coupons as well!) and scored a bunch of paper mache letters to spell out 'NYE,' 'MR,' and 'MRS.'

I wanted the MR and MRS to sit on our head table and have a sparkly white shimmer.  The NYE was to be silver glitter as silver is one of our accent colors.

First step - prime the letters.  Thankfully my parents have a large basement.  There was plenty of room to spread out some newspaper and enough ventilation to avoid getting too high on fumes.





I just did a good enough coat so that none of the brown paper mache would show through in case the glitter didn't cover as well as I hoped. 

The first thing I tried was a glitter spray. 


Image via Joann.com

I was trying to be lazy and find the quickest method.  This didn't give any coverage at all.  Instead, it sort of leaked all over my hand and splattered some metallic flecks on the letters.  This type of product is definitely not for full coverage but more for a light shimmer.  I wish I would have taken a picture of the poor letter 'N' I tested this on.  He was pretty sad looking.

Since that wasn't doing the trick, I bought bottles of glitter and spray adhesive.  MOB and I worked one letter at a time and she sprayed and I sprinkled, making sure I covered all the nooks and crannies.  I was only concerned about the front of the letters as where we are placing them, no one will see the backs.
There is another M and R floating around the house somewhere!

They are super shimmery in person and the light catches all of the different colors in the glitter.

These suckers are BIG and they make a heck of a statement.


We used a fat, chunkier silver glitter and they are pretty bling-tastic!

This was a simple and inexpensive project but will add some fun decor to the room.  I think the NYE letters will go on the NYE favor table.  I'm still in the process of collecting hats, tiaras, horns, etc. for the midnight countdown!
We did spray the letters with a sealant made specifically for glitter projects.  It doesn't dull the glitter, however, I feel like the glitter still could use additional security.  We won't be able to prevent 100% from flaking off, but I'd still like to give them a coat or two of something else.

Do you have a favorite sealant for your craft projects?  Any suggestions for something that won't reduce the bling?!

No comments:

Post a Comment