Thursday, October 13, 2011

Three, Two, One . . . Happy New Year!

If you remember way back in one of my earlier posts, I had found some New Year's Eve inspiration in the form of a clock.

New Year's Eve-spiration :  wedding color schemes decor dyer New Yea new-yea
Image via Miller + Miller

MOB came through and found the perfect clock for me to attempt my own DIY project.  The Walmart clock was a great find and will look so nice hanging in our home after the wedding.

The first step was to disassemble the clock.



If you look closely, there is wording printed on the face of the clock.  This would need to be covered up in order to personalize it with my own words.


I picked up a couple of bottle of acrylic paint at Joanne's - Delta Creative Ceramcoat in Magnolia White and Dazzling Mettallics Elegant Finish in Venetian Gold. 




Unfortunately, I was quite a bit off on my color choice of white.  I sanded down the area a little and dry brushed some of the gold color on top to blend in with the rest of the face.

The next step was to cut my words out of vinyl using my Silhouette.  I used a chocolate brown vinyl that complimented the coloring of the clock.


After my words were cut, I peeled away the excess vinyl and used a piece of transfer paper to pick up the letters.  This is crucial, otherwise there is no way to keep your letters and words straight. 


I did this for the top and bottom of the face of the clock.  After I was finished, you still could see the white paint a little too much so I rubbed my finger in some dirt outside and rubbed it over the areas to distress it a little more.  It really helped to tone down the bright white.


This picture isn't the greatest but you get the idea (had to blur our last name - sorry!).  It isn't perfect but I'm pretty proud of it and I think it will look great on our NYE favor table.  It will also help us all keep tabs on the time as we get closer to counting down to midnight!  I may decide to rough up the face even more after the wedding but we shall see.  Mr. BC thought it turned out great and gave me a big thumbs up.

You can see the dirt smudges really well here.  I toned that down as well and it isn't so obvious in person.

I can tell I'm willing to let more things go at this stage of the planning.  Are you willing to accept some minor flaws or will only perfection do it for you?




No comments:

Post a Comment